The Roman Catholic Church traces its continuing history back to Biblical times and claims to be the one, true world-wide church. Headed by the Pope in Rome it has several hundred million members world-wide and an estimated two million in the UK. Ministry and authority is largely in the hands of bishops and priests who are expected to be male and unmarried. There are also many religious orders and religious communities of monks, nuns, friars and sisters who are mainly employed in ministries of prayer, education or social and community work.
In Great Britain [but not Ireland] it was driven underground after the Reformation in the 16th Century, but made a comeback and grew following emancipation and large scale Irish immigration in the 19th Century. With over one million Roman Catholics worshipping in England each Sunday it is now the largest Christian denomination in the UK.
Roman Catholic churches in Newham are part of the diocese of Brentwood. In Newham it has a dozen congregations, eight church buildings, an estimated attendance of over 5000 and a wider Roman Catholic community of two or three times that number. In addition there are around ten religious orders working with local communities and it runs several primary and two secondary schools.
The Brentwood Diocesan Directory has full contemporary details.
Notes from The Victoria County History records - 1580's a secret printing press in Green Street. 1582 Lady of Manor RC Fine for harbouring priests 1585 & 1591. Recusant recorded 1577 and 1617. Only one English papist known in West Ham 1706. Irish labourers present 1719 1767 - 53 people, 1778 - 7 people, RC families in East Ham. 1780 - 160 people in West Ham.
PARISHES - Area, Name of Church and Commencement Date
St.Margaret and All Saints, Barking Road E16. 1859
St.Anne, Berwick Road E16, 1899
St Mark's Tollgate Road Centre, Beckton E6 1987
St Mary & St Edward with St John, Albert Road, West Woolwich, E16 1887
St.Michael, Tilbury Road E6 1925
St.Anthony of Padua, St Anthonys Road E7 1884
Durning Hall Community Centre, Earlham Grove E7 served from St Anthony of Padua
St.Stephen, Church Road E12
St Nicholas, Gladding Road E12 now served from St Stephens. 1868 parish of Industrial School
St Francis of Assisi, 160 The Grove E15
Our Lady of Compassion, Green Street E13, 1901
Parish of 1870 St Edwards Industrial School
Canning Town St.Helens, Falcon Street E13
Custom House St.Joachims, Shipman Road E16
East Ham St.Michaels, Arthur Road E6
Forest Gate St.Anthonys, Upton Avenue E7
Manor Park St.Winefrides, Church Road E12
Stratford St.Francis, Maryland Park E15
Upton Park St.Edwards, Green Street E13
Forest Gate St.Bonaventures Comprehensive School, Boleyn Road E7 1891
Forest Gate St.Angela’s Ursuline Convent School, St Georges Road, E7
COMMUNITIES OF PRIESTS AND BROTHERS
Franciscan Friars of the Renewal [CFR] Canning Town
Franciscans [Friars Minor OFM] Stratford
COMMUNITIES OF SISTERS
Canonesses of the Holy Sepulchre 71 Cundy Street, E16
Franciscan Missionaries of Mary [FMM] St Margarets Convent, Bethell Avenue, E16
Canning Town E12 and Mamre Cottage, Bethell Avenue, E16
Daughters of Mary, Mother of Mercy 54 Nigel Road, E7
The Holy Family Sisters of the Needy 2 Routh Street, E6
Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary 195 Church Road, Manor Park, E12
Sacred Heart of Mary [Bezier] 21 Gladding Road Manor Park, E12
Sisters of Charity 11 Ruscoe Road, E16
Sisters of Mercy 7 Tilbury Road, E6
Sisters of the Holy Cross 47 Vernon Road, E15
Sisters of St.Joseph of Tarbes 20 Lancaster Road Forest Gate, E7
Society of the Sacred Heart 159 Boleyn Road ,Forest Gate, E7
Ursuline [Roman Union] 38 Grosvenor Road, Forest Gate, E7
CATHOLIC SOCIAL CLUB
The Red House 13 Upton Avenue, Forest Gate, E7
HOMELESSNESS PROJECT CARITAS ANCHOR HOUSE
Formerly for seamen. Now ‘to promote, in an active and responsive Christian manner, the mission and beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church for the homeless and those in need’. Aims at single homeless people and provides 115 spaces for Men and women.